May 11, 2008

The Witcham Gravel Auxiliary Cavalry Type B Helmet

http://daniyalhelmets.blogspot.com/



Developed between Armamentaria and Daniyal Steel Crafts. The Witcham Gravel Auxiliary Cavalry type B in the British Museum



Thanks to the great CG skills of Jim Bowers. Jim did the line drawings for us on this one!


Original with an iron core, applied brass sheathing (tinned on the crown section and neck guard flange). The cheek plates tinned and have the 5 decorative rivet bosses. The original helmet has a series of 5 pairs of holes running front to back across the crown of the skull indicating where a crest box was fitted. This will be constructed (Probably with yellow horsehair as per Arrian's description). In the UK it's affectionately known as the bicycle bell helmet as the domes look just like cycle bells!



SOME VALUABLE COMMENTS ON THIS HELMET :

  • I think you'll agree that it is a thing of beauty! Jim, I have seen one or two reconstructions of this one. None as good or as accurate as this particular piece though. The other used simple brass over steel, with no inner core and full skin. I have 10 of these beauties on order! Come and see THIS one at TORM! I received the prototype of the helmet today! It's simply stunning! reasonably heavy (as expected) but stunning! - Marcus Ulpius Peronis COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
  • Cool !! I will have one!!! I can't wait for this one...it will be my last helmet..... Great work, Daniyell, you guys really do a great job with the seam on the neck guards! Laudes to you!! Looking good! Awesome helmet! Definately going in my collection! - Gaius Julius Caesar Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS
  • This is one I'm really looking forward to seeing!! .... wooooooooow! That's fantastic. You guys really are superb craftsmen. And with the crest it will look even better ... I love these new DSC helmets. This one goes high on my list. - Jef Pinceel a.k.a. Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco LEG XI CPF COH V (BELGIUM)
  • It sounds absolutely amazing..... Absolutely amazing.....right up there with the best reconstructions ever.... Caballo/ Paul B Cohors I Batavorum
  • What a fantastic looking helmet this is going to be! With all these great new helmets coming out, I'll have to start a helmet collection. - Maius / Bill
  • I take one immediatly..! Nice indeed, Adrian ! when can we order them ? - Sextus Aurelius Propertiu
  • It looks to me like you've done a fantastic job of interpreting the drawings. Holy crap. That's the first time I've seen any reconstruction of that helm and realised why it would have been made that way. I may have drawn the plans, but I had no idea it would look so organic and good in reality - Jim Bowers
  • wow I cannot wait to get ahold of one!!!!!!!!! - Dennis J. Flynn III, USMCR
  • What a great helmet I think, it´s the perfect birthdaygift for my daughter! - Optio Marcus Athenobarbus COH. IIII VINDELICORUM
  • Beautiful job Peroni WoW It will get the Cavalry chaps juices flowing. Well done - Brennivs
  • Wow, I am trying to pick my jaw off the floor; absolutely stunning. That is art. Laudes to everyone on this. - Mike a.k.a Titus Minicius Parthicus COH II, Italica Civium Romanorum and/or Legio VI FFC.
  • Wow, awesome development Adrian and Daniyal! - Jvrjenivs Peregrinvs Magnvs A.K.A. Jurjen Draaisma
  • A wonderfull piece - Optio Marcus Athenobarbus COH. IIII VINDELICORUM

THIS HELMET CAN BE PURCHARED AT : http://www.armamentaria.com/
Write to us : dscarmoury@gmail.com


No comments: