May 24, 2008

Deir el Medineh Spangenhelm Helmet










Deir el Medineh spangenhelm. These beauties with (vegetable-tanned) leather liner from DSC, commercially available from Armamentaria. I. P. Stephenson states in his book "Roman Cavalry Equipment" that the similar helmet displayed at Leiden has a dubious history in that it was sold being worn by an Egyptian mummy! It is this one has been tentatively dated to the 12th Century. It was aparently placed on the head of the mummy to make it more interesting to the purchaser! - Marcus Ulpius Peronis COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF http://www.armamentaria.com/ Aka Adrian Wink
PEOPLES COMMENTS :
  • ADRIAN, I´AM D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-LY INTERESTED. - Virilis/ Jyrki Halme TOXOPHILITE

  • hmmmmmm, that look's interesting! ... May have to add this to my collection!.. Looks the biz to me! ... Nice work!... Good sturdy infantry helm!... Daniyell have certainly made a name for them selves since they appeared a couple of moths ago on Keltica....never heard of them before that! They definately are good craftsmen! ... Well, I just recieved on of these from Ade, and I love it! - Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Gaius Julius Caesar/ was Marcus/Byron Angel

  • Very interesting indeed! Ade, that is INDEED impressive! - Valerius/Robert Vermaat

  • Hey this looks intresting, it'll be hard to choose between this and an intercisa..... not a bad price range at all...That looks fantastic, how long 'till Christmas?... Looks fantastic, I'm seriously considering getting one of these, probably not for a little while though. - Dave Bell/Secvndvs

  • When this is approved, there's a new Weisenau type coming! Something VERY unusual I promise! Definately something that will stand out from all the 'cookie-cutters'... The DSC craftsmen are very good at following drawings! All credit to DSC! - Marcus Ulpius Peronis COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF Aka Adrian Wink

  • The helmet looks very promising... I really like them... It looks great. BTW it is nice to see the different stages of manufacture... very informative. It looks stunning. Especially like the picture of the helmet being worn. - Martijn

  • I'm interested too. - Ivan Perelló

  • woah sweet man. i love that helmet - Tiberius Claudius Lupus Chuck Russell Keyser,WV, USA

  • Looks promising ! Um... Oh... Gulp ! ... So Adrian, bring it on & how can I pay & where!!??... If our suggestions are taken into consideration like this with other gear too I think we will see plenty of happy customers in the future ! In my opinion there is definitely room for a producer between XXXXXXXX and the makers of more expensive "made-to-measure" unique items. The problem with XXXXXXXX (anyway still the best mass-producer by far) is that their gear is uniform and therefore made to fit the hypotethical average customer. Custom fit gear tends to be a bit on the expensive side and the delivery times / communication in general can be bit difficult some times. Maybe Daniyal Steelcrafts can fill this empty place between them; listening to the individual needs of the customer and still keeping the prices / delivery times acceptable?- Virilis/ Jyrki Halme TOXOPHILITE

  • Adrian, At 200 Pounds your helmet is a bargin compared to this one! XXXXXXX - Gaius Marcius Gracilis AKA: Mark Headlee

  • Looks fantastic! I think it's perfect the way it is now! A very good replica! This is very impressive! - Jef Pinceel a.k.a. Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco LEG XI CPF COH V (BELGIUM)
    wow i love it! - Tiberius Claudius Lupus Chuck Russell Keyser,WV, USA

  • That's a seriously well done repro. Hats off to Daniyal. I think it's the best mass production model I've ever seen, so hopefully good quality control will keep it that way. - TARBICvS/Jim Bowers CALIGATvS CAVORTvS NINIvS

  • Looks superb, good initiative. - Ste Kenwright Salvianus A member of Comitatus Late Roman Experimental Re-enactment Group My Re-enactment Livejournal

  • Very nice looking Helmet. Well done Peroni/Daniyal - Jvrjenivs Peregrinvs Magnvs A.K.A. Jurjen Draaisma

  • ... the craftsmanship looks excellent, ... I would definitely buy this helmet. - Andreas Baede

  • Dear Jyrki, You will be most pleased to know that the kind gentlemen at Daniyal Steel Crafts have taken notice of your feaky head, and have taken pity on you by making a special helmet just for you! (They did also offer to perform the required surgery ) 16cm x 22cm will that do for you??? No Joke Jyrki, They are making one especially for you right now! - Marcus Ulpius Peronis COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF Aka Adrian Wink

  • Wow!!! This is a great development.... Ade, I think you've found a fabulous team to work with. They certainly have my respect. I look forward to future work by them. - Andy Booker Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs Andronikos of Athens

  • I love this helmut.... will like it for a Late Sarmat impression - Comerus Gallus Romus

3 comments:

Armamentaria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Armamentaria said...

This helmet is one of our best sellers, and is also one of the most viewed items on our website! I cannot praise the craftsmanship of DSC highly enough for this superb reconstruction.

M.Alauddin said...

Dear Adrian, we will treasure your compliment. This all was possible by your expert guidance.